Barcelona president Joan Laporta has seemingly opened the door for Manchester United to sign Frenkie de Jong during the upcoming summer transfer window.
Speculation over the Netherlands midfielder remains at fever pitch and United are weighing-up a move for him in what would offer up a reunion with his former Ajax manager Erik ten Hag – who arrived at Old Trafford on Monday to start work on a much-needed rebuild.
De Jong dropped a major hint over his future on social media and those comments have been followed up by yet another welcome boost for those associated with the Old Trafford giants. Barcelona and their financial issues have been well documented even as they appear to have emerged from them.
However, despite claims from manager Xavi that De Jong is firmly part of future plans at the Nou Camp, the figure above him – Laporta – admits the 25-year-old might have to be sold. United continue to track De Jong and a would-be fee around the £75million has been suggested.
Speaking about the 40-cap Netherlands star, Laporta said: “He has a lot of quality, he knows our system and he’s a player we think should continue at Barca. It’s also true that he’s a highly coveted player and we have had proposals from others. Right now, everything is open. It will depend a lot on the issue of fair play.”
When addressing De Jong and his future previously, Xavi said: “He has to be a player that makes the difference and he does. There aren’t many players with his quality in the world. He’s the present and the future here and he’s a very important player for me.”
We want your views, Reds. You can become even more involved with our Man United coverage by signing up. This will unlock a whole host of things – including joining the comments and taking part in our special Q&As, where you can speak directly to our reporters about what’s happening at Old Trafford this week and beyond.