Sports

Tottenham news: Antonio Conte denies PSG rumours as replacement shortlist ‘drawn up’


Tottenham Hotspur have just five games left in their Premier League season to overtake north London rivals Arsenal in the race for the Champions League, as talks over Antonio Conte’s future hots up

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Antonio Conte on Carlo Ancelotti

Tottenham Hotspur boss Antonio Conte has been heavily linked with a move to replace ex-Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino at Paris Saint-Germain.

Despite the heavy links between Conte and a move to France, Spurs’ boss has denied the reports, while fresh claims elsewhere suggest that should Conte depart for Paris, a three-man shortlist for his replacement that includes Pochettino has already been drawn up, with the other two suggested contenders being very well-known to followers of the Premier League.

Mirror Sport has your latest Tottenham headlines ahead of Spurs’ meeting with Leicester City on Sunday, including what Conte has said on those reports linking him with interest from PSG.

Conte’s links with PSG “fake news”

Tottenham boss Antonio Conte has been quick to deny links that would be moving to PSG if they opt to sack former Spurs boss Pochettino. Reports suggested that while Zinedine Zidane had been sounded out as PSG’s first-choice option, Conte had offered himself on a deal worth over £25million per year.

However, Conte, who only arrived at Spurs in November has been very quick to dismiss the rumours and has brandished them as “fake news.” “Obviously I think it’s good that other clubs appreciate my work, but this is one thing,” said Conte. The truth is I don’t like when people try to invent news, only to speak, only to create problems. This is not right, this is not fair for the clubs involved or for my players. Also because I feel we’re really focused on these fives games and getting a result.

“This type of situation makes me smile but I think that also the people that want to tell something about this have to show respect for all of the people that are involved in the situation and not invent fake news and tell a lot of lies.”

Read the story in full HERE.






(

Image:

Claudio Villa/Getty Images)

If Antonio Conte did depart Tottenham, who should be their priority to replace him? Have your say in the comments below.

Mancini and Potter on Spurs’ ‘wish list’

While Conte has dismissed those rumours, it has been reported that if he did go, a three-man shortlist including Pochettino has already been drawn up in the search for a potential replacement, if needed.

The Telegraph have reported that if Conte was to leave north London, Pochettino, Italy boss Roberto Mancini and Brighton and Hove Albion manager Graham Potter would be the frontrunners to replace Conte in charge of Spurs.

The report also suggests that if Conte was to depart, his current deal would have a compensation fee of around £15m, leaving Spurs in a favourable position to appoint a replacement.

Read the story in full HERE.

Conte highlights Tottenham’s changed fortunes

Away from talk surrounding Conte’s future, the Italian has highlighted how much better off Tottenham are since his arrival. After Nuno Espirito Santo was sacked in November, Spurs have recovered to mount an assault on the Premier League top four.

Languishing in eighth place, Conte transformed the team over the winter and Tottenham now have their destiny in their owns hands heading into the final five games of the season.

Discussing Spurs’ turnaround, the 52-year-old told reporters: “First of all, I want to underline that we’re fighting for a target that, at the start of the season, no one could imagine.

“Especially in November because when I arrived the situation wasn’t good – otherwise you wouldn’t change the coach. So to arrive with five games to go with the possibility to get this result is a great achievement for us.”

Read the story in full HERE.

Read More

Read More





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.