Dani Alves is out of contract at the end of the current season for Barcelona and boss Xavi Hernandez has spoken on his future after cutting him from their Europa League side
Barcelona boss Xavi Hernandez has addressed the future of veteran full-back Dani Alves, who is out of contract at the end of the season.
The Brazilian right-back became the first signing of new Blaugrana boss Xavi Hernandez at the Camp Nou, arriving on a free transfer after his contract was cancelled at Sao Paulo.
The 38-year-old returned to the club after five-and-a-half years away and has instantly become an important member of the first-team squad, making five first team appearances.
However, his long-term future at the club came under scrutiny after Xavi reached the decision to exclude him from the club’s Europa League squad.
Alves will celebrate his 39th birthday in May but his energy levels and performances have ensured he is often preferred in the position to Sergino Dest.
Alves signed a temporary contract at the club to cover the second half of the 2021-22 campaign, with a decision then to be taken about his future going forwards.
Reports earlier this week claimed that Barca were keen to extend the contract of the Brazilian by a further year – a deal that would take him up to his 40 th birthday at the end of the 2022-23 campaign.
This would also be something that the player was said to be open to, as it would allow him to compete at the highest level ahead of this winter’s World Cup finals.
However, Alves was excluded from the club’s Europa League squad as Barca boss Xavi had to take the harsh decision to cut him from those matches.
Article 46 of UEFA’s regulations states that from “the knockout round play-offs, a club may register a maximum of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the current competition.”
With fellow January arrivals Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Adama Traore and Ferran Torres all in the squad, Alves was the unfortunate player to make way.
Dest is starting in the position for Barca during those matches with central defender Oscar Mingueza and midfielder Sergi Roberto also capable of playing right-back.
Xavi has now spoken about this and rejected suggestions that this was an option that had already been exercised by the club.
Xavi told reporters at a press conference on Saturday: “We have not talked yet, but as for performance there is no doubt of his quality.
“He is so influentially for the team, he spreads professionalism throughout the team. He is an example.
“I hope he continues with this level of performance. I would like him to continue, although it depends on several things.
“He has also gives us a lot on the pitch.”
Alves won 26 trophies in his first spell at the Camp Nou between 2008 and 2016, including six La Liga titles and three Champions League crowns.